Friday, August 10, 2012

Monogram Desktop Backgrounds!

Hi! Since y'all love my how-to for making Lilly Pulitzer binder covers, I'm going to show y'all how I make Lilly Pulitzer Monogrammed Desktop Backgrounds! Enjoy!


You technically don't have to use a Lilly print, but they're my favorites and they're super fun! So, download one from the Lilly Pulitzer website or from Google images and open it with Preview. 


Now, open Microsoft Powerpoint (but you can also use Photoshop). I downloaded a monogram font a while back from a free fonts website, so type your initials in three separate text boxes. Make the left and right initial in the monogram 200 pt., and the middle initial 300 pt. 


Next, move the text boxes so they look like a monogram! Also, choose the color for your monogram. 


Screen shot the monogram and a lot of the white area around the monogram. Open it in preview.


On preview, go to Select on the toolbar and select Elliptical Selection. 


Make a large circle around the monogram, then cut it. 


Here is the final monogram product! Copy the monogram.


Go back to the original Lilly print, and crop the print so it is rectangular. This is so it looks better as a desktop background. 


Paste the monogram on top of the print, and resize it any way you like!


Here is my new desktop background!

I hope these instructions were easy enough to follow! Have fun making new backgrounds!

Have a great day!

xoxo, Hannah

30 comments:

  1. CUTE, CUTE!! I love it :)

    -Rachel @ A Preppy State of Mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a really similar background on my desktop right now! Love the tutorial, super easy to follow and I love the print you picked :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the adorable idea!
    xoxo,
    cYa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the help! I've been wanting to do something like this for a while but always felt I wasn't techy enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a great tutorial! thanks for sharing. now what font is that? the font can make all the difference! Have a happy Friday and be sure to check out my giveaway ending soon :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the font I used! http://www.dafont.com/monogram-kk.font

      Delete
  6. Super cute!! Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a GIVEAWAY for a Figure Eight Monograms Personalized LILLY Keychain!
    http://theboardingschoolprep.blogspot.com/2012/08/giveaway-figure-eight-monograms.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you tell me what program you used on your Mac?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did it! And I LOVE it! Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete

  10. This is a really excellent read personally, Must admit that you are one of the finest bloggers I ever saw. We truly stumbled about this on yahoo, and im happy Used to do. I’ll definitely be coming back again.
    http://kwicsys.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. how do you cut out the background around the font? when i tried, it cut out the font

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this problem to. When you have lassoed the font, you go to "Edit" and then click "Invert Selection" which should then allow you to delete the background

      Delete
  12. what is the american flag background that you have on your computer during this tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear, do you know if you could do this if you dont have a mac?

    ReplyDelete
  14. above the eighth photo, you say to copy the monogram onto the desired background. How do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. what is the american flag background that you have on your computer during this tutorial? ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.google.com/search?q=messy+painted+american+flag&hl=en&client=safari&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JaszUfmKBYiC2gWniYHwDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=356#i=165

      Delete
    2. thank you SO much!! just made a ton of binder covers :)) xx

      Delete
  16. I love this! how would you do this on a windows computer using word?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just did this for my background! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just did this on my computer! love it! Is there anyway to do it for an iPhone?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just do what you would for the desktop background and change the image size when youre done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what program did you use to to the monogram or edit the circle?
    need help cutting the monogram out?

    ReplyDelete
  21. what program did you use to edit the monogram. I can't make the circle cut and then cut and paste.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love this. but one question, how do you copy the monogram preview image to the lilly background preview image?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Where did you download your font from? I looked at one or two but neither looked very safe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ditto... which website did you download free fonts from? I'm overwhelmed with the various sites and just tried one download but I cannot find that it was saved on my computer, just showed me a page with print sample. Thanks so much! These are all very cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete