Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Decorating Your Dorm Room: The Bed

Hi y'all! I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend! For the next 6 days, I'm going to be doing a series on how to decorate your college dorm room. I've gotten a lot of requests, and since I worked out all the kinks from my freshman dorm room, I'm going to write about some tips and tricks that I've come across from the past year. 


My roommate next year is one of my best friends at Wake, and we're going to do the whole matching-bedding thing! I'm really excited because our room is in a really good location, and I know that it's going to be a very popular room this upcoming school year! I can't wait for it to be finally decorated!


The first part of the series is talking about how to choose your bedding and make your bed super fun and cute! As much as I loved my Lilly Pulitzer for Garnet Hill bedding this year, I'm having a lot of fun looking for other options for my new room!

There are a few of places that I recommend for bedding: Garnet Hill, PB TeenDecor 2 Ur Door, and Ivy Halls via Etsy. Garnet Hill has all of the adorable Lilly printed bedding, but they also have some cute non-Lilly options. PB Teen is kind of the heaven of all things dorm room...there are so many choices from the site. 


Here are some of my favorites from Garnet Hill and PB Teen. 

Sheets are easy to get; just make sure that you have the right size for your bed! I had to get extra long twin sheets last minute because I didn't know until later on that the beds at Wake were a specific size. Most colleges will tell you on their housing website. I think it's easiest to get a solid color, like pink or white, but have fun with it! 

Pillows are a lot of fun to choose as well! I had a trillion pillows on my dorm room bed this past year, and you've got to include a monogram! 
But here are some other options for the girls who don't necessarily want to go overboard with the monograms. All of the pillows shown above are from PB Teen.

Even though it sounds kind of sketchy, Decor 2 Ur Door is absolutely adorable! A lot of the pictures that are on Pinterest of cute dorm rooms come from this website. The Decor 2 Ur Door experience is a real process though. They actually include a chart on their website on all the parts to decorating your bed!


Basically, what I would do is to design a duvet, bed scarf, bed skirt, all the pillows (sham, square, and lumbar), headboard, and window panel. It sounds like a lot...and it is, don't get me wrong, but it's so CUTE. 


My personal favorite is the whole chevron themed room! I would change a few things around, but the sample room that they have on their website is just the best! 


I really like the idea of the headboard. It gives the room a home-y feel! If you don't want to buy a headboard (like the adorable options at Decor 2 Ur Door), make one yourself! There are a lot of DIY tutorials on Pinterest, like this one.


Lastly, I"m beyond obsessed with the bedskirt. It's great for hiding the crazy amounts of storage that you'll have under your bed (BTW: storage post to come tomorrow!). 


Ivy Halls is an Etsy shop that I found on dWa's blog Prep in Your Step! It's so adorable! I'm really considering getting one of these duvets for my room this year!

Let me know what you think! What are y'alls ideas for dorm bedding decoration? Let me know! My roomie and I are going to have so much fun choosing everything, but it's going to be difficult because there are so many options!

Have a lovely day!

xx, Hannah

7 comments:

  1. I have the Peyton Organic sheets and duvet in pool blue and love it! It works so well with a variety of colors and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the decor to your door site as well and they were incredibly easy to work with. The bedding turned out beautiful, sturdy, and comfy! Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed! We LOVE creating your beautiful bedding
      Décor 2 Ur Door!!

      Delete
  3. My Lilly bedding in First Impressions just came in from Garnet Hill! I'm so excited to use it this fall.

    xoxo
    polishedinpearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got preppy damask print bedding from Target when i was in college but that was a few years ago! One side was damask print, the other side was polka dots! Super cute! i wish i had all of these cute dorm options when i was in college! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg that's hilarious they include a full chart! I love dressing up simple bedding with fun pillows! I aways found that in college it was easiest to have washable bedding. People will always spill things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bedskirts are such a savour. It's virtually impossible to make storage look good, so cover it up!

    ReplyDelete